Thursday, November 05, 2009

Too Big, Too Fast

I have so, so much blogging to catch up on, but I couldn't wait to post this until I actually find the time to "back blog." The babies had their 9 month doctors appointment yesterday. Apparently one of the things they look for at this age is the disappearance of the reflex to always stand on their toes. Our doctor said that once a baby starts to stand flat footed all the time, they are about ready to walk. When he stood Reid up to check the reflex, he looked at me with that I-hate-to-tell-you-this look on his face and said, "He could walk if he wanted to." Not that I am in any way ready for my sweet babies (who I can hardly believe are nearly 10 months old) to walk, but we were still excited at the news. Lucy's reflex is fading fast, but isn't completely gone yet. She is still typically a week or 2 behind in physical development, while Reid is a week or 2 behind Lucy's social development. Lucy is, however holding her own bottle while Reid is not interested in exerting any energy while drinking his bottle. Both of them are thoroughly enjoying finger foods, and often strongly resist being spoon fed. So far they are devouring Cheerios, peas, sweet potatoes, avocado, bananas and carrots...all by themselves :).
At dinner tonight, I told Ben that I thought Reid could walk behind the push toy and Lucy would love to play w/ the gadgets on the front. We pulled it out and this is what happened:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! They are beyond greatness, though I would appreciate it if you wouldn't ever put lead-in descriptors like "the doctor had an I-hate-to-tell-you-this-look"...my heart nearly fell ot of my chest with dread of what was coming next!! I thought Reid was going to side-swipe Lucy's head. Reid may exceed her in walking, but he's got no chance on the cuteness scale!

Uncle Jonathan

Candice said...

No kidding! My heart started beating a little faster as I read the doctor part as well.

I cannot believe they are quickly approaching the one year mark! How the time has flown. Reid looked so strong in his walking. What a big boy. They both are just perfect! How anyone will ever discipline sweet angel-faced Lucy I just don't know:).

And I love hearing Hampton call Reid "Buddy". So cute. Love you all!

Sweetie said...

Oh, our precious babies! and Oh, how well Mommy knows her precious little ones! Are you sure you want Reid playing with that push toy?! Squabbles may begin as Reid pushes away Scout's toy.....uh, oh. Perhaps Lucy will want to have tea parties and do crafts with Sweetie..... that captivation with color and her manual dexterity are great for "artists".
Sweet big brother was so patient while the twins were getting all the attention and loved his congratulations for Reid's accomplishment.
Love to you all

Anonymous said...

Gran and Poppy are VERY slow getting to the blogs but enjoy every minute of the videos.

I am writing this as we had a lovely surprise when the whole family came for a visit Nov.9!!

Loved seeing these sweet ones in person.

Hugs. Gran and Poppy