On the plane with Sweetie
We got there in the afternoon and took Hampton to the beach as soon as possible. I don't think we put too much thought into how he would react to the water, because we just walked right in. He was fine until a wave came...he squealed like I have never heard him squeal. It was a squeal out of sheer terror. The water was cold, loud and deeper than expected (only up to his diaper). After he realized he was safe with Mommy and Daddy, he was just fine. He loved playing in the sand and surprisingly didn't try to eat any. He crawled all over the place and would crawl to the water's edge, but would not get wet without his Daddy. I think the sound of the waves was a little unnerving to him. The pool however, was a different story...he was fearless and LOVED the water (at least the calm, quiet water). This makes his birthday party even more exciting for us. We often laughed as we watched other babies timidly play in the pool. They would pat the water lightly and sit quietly in their water toys. Hampton, on the other hand was splashing as much as he could and trying to climb out of his water toy so he could play rough. He loved being thrown up in the air and splashing in the water when he came down. We even took him down the water slides at The Grand Wailea. He took several naps in his stroller and was always content if we were outside. He LOVES being outdoors, would b-line it to the door if you even left it cracked, and would get upset of you wouldn't let him go out. I had so much fun watching him in a new surrounding.
On the beach with Daddy
Playing in the pool
Having a snack on the beach
Mom and I got to hang out a lot while the boys played golf. They enjoyed playing Wailea Blue, Wailea Gold and Makena North. I'm pretty sure they would all say their favorite was Makena North because it was secluded, had a creative design and had amazing ocean views. While the boys played golf, Mom, Hampton and I went to the local farmer's market, shopped, ate some wonderful lunches, and relaxed by the pool (usually while H napped in the stroller). When the boys weren't playing golf, Mom and I took advantage of the babysitters and went to the spa at the Grand Wailea. It was AWESOME. We spent a couple of hours relaxing in their hydrotherapy pool and had a massage. We loved every minute of it. We also got to go the pool for a couple of hours without Hampton...not that he was by any means a burden, but it's more relaxing without a 1 year old.
Wailea Blue Course
Makena North Course
On Wednesday, Ben and I convinced everyone to go to the north side of the island toward Hana. We didn't want to drive all the way to Hana, but we did want to see the lush vegetation on that part of Maui. We went to The Garden of Eden botanical gardens. Mom, Dad and I loved it, but Drew and Ben weren't too thrilled. We saw all kinds of interesting plants and marveled at God's amazing creativity. When you think of Hawaii, you usually think of bright tropical flowers, but there are so many colorful plants that don't even have flowers, and so many trees that produce the most fragrant beautiful flowers. I love admiring His creation. The road to and from the gardens (aka the famous "Road to Hana") was rough. I can usually handle curvy roads, but this one was out of control...it was much better when Mom and I moved from the back, back of the minivan. While on the north side, we also enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Mama's Fish House and took a super quick walk around Pai'ia.
The pointy rock that you can barely see in the background is where they filmed the opening sequence of Jurassic Park.
On Friday after lunch Drew, Hampton, Ben and I played at the pools at the Grand Wailea. They have a baby beach, that H wasn't really diggin' (mostly because he was running a fever for the 2nd or 3rd day in a row :(). He warmed up to it though and we ended up enjoying the water slides and lazy river too. We enjoyed a steak dinner on our lanai just before Ben and I went on a date. We walked along the beach and sat on the shoreline listening to the waves and catching up on some QT. Thank you to Sweetie, Pops and UD for taking such good care of Hampton when he wasn't feeling well.
At our condo pool
No thank you...too cold
The Baby Beach
1st time down the big slide
After the big water slide
2nd time down the big slide
Thank you so much, Pops!!!
5 comments:
Hey Dugan...I am so jealous! It looks like you guys had a blast! I was wondering where you have been. I miss getting to catch up on Hampton.
Since Hampton seems to like the water, you guys need to join us on the boat this summer. We would have lots of fun!!
Glad that you had a safe trip...hope to see you guys soon! Give Hampton a hug from Camden.
MAV
Happy 1st Birthday Hampton! The year has flown by.
Looks like a fun trip.
YAY for Hawaii!! It looks like you guys had a great trip. And big congrats to Drew for his graduation!
We're trying to decide where we're going on our Babymoon (ha) and Hawaii is definitely in the running...
Hope all is great w/ you guys!
-Rachel & Simon
Your trip looked wonderful, and Hampton is so precious! He is getting to be a little boy instead of a baby! Well, really, he still looks like a baby - let's keep it that way as long as possible! Love you guys.
I'm so glad I found your blog. Hampton is precious!! And I loved seeing your beautiful pictures from the trip...
Love you!
Jenna
Post a Comment