Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Boys and Their Toys

One evening last week, Ben mowed the yard. Of course, Hampton wanted to be outside too. He followed Ben all over the yard and really wanted to help push. I wouldn't let him get that close. He loves being outside and loves to imitate his Daddy. The next day Hampton and I went to a consignment sale. He was in the stroller and I was shopping around. All of a sudden he started pointing, signing please and grunting. I looked up and there it was...a completely faded and worn out plastic lawn mower (I think it used to blow bubbles). I let him down and he pushed that thing all over the place. When it was time to leave, I wanted to put him back in the stroller to make things easier on me. Hampton did not want to let go of his lawn mower. I finally convinced him to let go, but he was definitely not going to let it out of his sight. We bought the tired, worn out lawn mower for $2.50. It is his favorite thing in the world. The whole way home, he pointed at it and signed please. When we pulled into the garage, I unloaded him and his new toy. We have started a new routine where I unload him and he knocks on the back door for Ben to let him in. This time, he was especially excited to see Daddy and show him his lawn mower. He pushed it to the door, knocked and entered with his chest up and a huge smile on his face. He was so proud to have a lawnmower like Daddy's. He was so excited he couldn't even take his afternoon nap. Sweet boy!!! That was a week ago and he still doesn't want the thing out of his sight.


It's harder to push in the grass.

Parking beside Daddy

7 comments:

Christine said...

That is SO cute! What a great example of how boys & men operate- they need their tools and toys :)

Sorefam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sorefam said...

Isn't it so amazing to see your little boy emulate his Daddy? Wyatt does the same thing with Matt and it just makes my heart melt.

BYD said...

How adorable! Reminds me of the picures of your helping your dad... girls love being with their dads too.... I love the Volunteer shirt.
I could just eat that boy up!! Just as sweet as he is cute.

The grandmother with no name

ZBUCK said...

Good to see him sporting a Tennessee Vols shirt. That's the sign of a good father...raising him right!

Anonymous said...

I love you baby doll! It is great to be on the road and seeing a new post. It is almost like being there. Can't wait to get home.

Daddy

Anonymous said...

Loved the shirt! Such a great toy so he can "be like Daddy".

We love you three. G and P