Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Well...

I kept thinking I would get around to posting the birth story pretty quickly after our return from the hospital. But let me tell you, this nursing thing has me whipped. I remember with Hampton always wondering if I was doing it right and if he was getting enough to eat, but I thought that would be better with my second (and third) child. I was wrong...it may be worse. I nursed Hampton for 11 months and had to use the shield the whole time. I am determined not to use that silly thing again. I think the babies are doing great, but I just wonder if they are eating enough. They are so tiny. Lucy latches just fine, but she doesn't eat as much as Reid and can be finished in less than 15 minutes. Reid on the other hand, pulls off about 100 times during his 45+ minute feeding. And to make the feeding even longer, he wants more as soon as he's finished, rooting like crazy. I am learning that I have to remind myself that they are two separate babies and they aren't going to do everything the same. Lucy is just going to be smaller than her brother and she may not need as much food.


Aside from those common new mommy worries, we are doing great. Recovery wise, I feel like a million bucks, but I don't think I've ever been this TIRED! Ben is such an amazing Daddy to all of us! I love him more and more as I watch him intentionally parent our children to know and love the Lord. He has offered more help than I expected him to and has not hesitated to care for the twins no matter what time of night they need him. I LOVE YOU BEN!!!
PROUD DADDY
Ben's mom has been here since the babies were born and she has been a LIFESAVER!!! She has fed bottles in the middle of the night (btw, at night I wake up and pump and then give the babies bottles...much faster than trying to nurse), gotten up and played with Hampton every morning, washed seemingly 100 loads of laundry, cooked some yummy meals and 2 fantastic pies and even sent Ben and me to lunch by ourselves. I don't think we could have made it without her! Thanks Rosie!!!

Hampton is crazy about his babies, but only gives them attention in spurts. He is very much into playing with his toys and Gran. When he got up from his nap yesterday, Reid was on the floor on a blanket. Hampton is not allowed to touch the blanket when the babies are on the floor, so he lied on his tummy and rested his little head in his hands while he talked to his little brother. He kept saying in his soft sweet talk-to-the-babies voice, "It okay, Weid. What you doin' Weid?" While chatting with Reid he heard Lucy and said, "What dat noise?" as he ran over to check on her. When he got up, Reid started fussing a little bit. With a concerned look on his face Hampton asked, "What wrong wit Weid?" " I think he misses his big brother." Hampton looked over at Reid and held up his finger and whispered, "I be wight der in just a second." Sure enough when Hampton went back, Reid focused in on Hampton and settled right down. Hampton looked up with a smile and said, "I make him happy." What a tender, precious big brother.
We are doing great and loving life as a family of 5. We are overwhelmed with gratitude and love for all who have already invested into the sweet lives of Lucy and Reid through prayer, food and company. Thank you for loving us and our children!
LUCY JAMES
REID MATTHEW

Our amazing doctor
Missing 1 proud big brother

24 comments:

Kim said...

Congratulations!!! They are beautiful! Can't wait to see you all sometime!

Anonymous said...

OH man. They are GORGEOUS! Can't get enough of these photos! What a blessing - our God is good. It is such a miracle - to think that these two little sweet things were inside your tummy just a few days ago when we saw you! And here they are, just perfect and precious.

I hear ya about the stupid nipple shields. I had to use them w/ Jude, and it really is a pain. Big props to you for sticking it out w/ Hampton. Hang in there - breastfeeding is so hard and there is so much pressure.

Macy said...

PRECIOUS! I will look forward to meeting them in person some day. What a blessed family of 5. God is so good.

The Davidson Family said...

Did Ben help deliver the babies? Why is he in scrubs? In addition to being named after me, Reid even looks like me. They are awesome!

Uncle Matt

Pascha said...

Elizabeth your babies are beautiful! All three of them! Congratulations!

The Davidson Family said...

So precious! I can't wait to meet them. What a blessing! Love, Tiff

terilynn said...

Great post and pics!! You even got one of Dr. H in there!!

Call if you ever need anything - from me or just a big girl set of hands. My girls are wonderful as baby holder, dish washer, vacuumers, etc. any time you need someone there while you rest or need to run. Just call me!!!

Katie Tuley said...

What a blessing. You all look AWESOME!!! We can't wait to see you all. We'll be praying for all the adjustments.

God's blessings,
The Tuleys

allyo said...

They are beautiful. What a sweet and perfect family of 5 you have. We love and miss you guys. Hope to meet the twins soon.

jaymie said...

congrats to you guys! They are beautiful!!!!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I can't believe you have twins.
You look great by the way. Seriously....
Miss you even though I haven't seen you in 8 years. And, now I need to meet all 3 kids. haaa

Christine said...

How sweet!!! Elizabeth, I can't believe you just had twins, you look amazing! What a wonderful family you have.

Brianna said...

They are so beautiful!!! You look amazing and I can't imagine nursing twins. All 4 of mine had very different nursing habits. Hope to meet them soon!

Kristen said...

I love all the pics! They are precious! Love the little blankets! Way to go on nursing, get one of those pillows and it will be your lifesaver. I used a nipple shield for about 6 weeks and then we were done. I used it only on Emma and she was much smaller than your babies. I am proud of you for not using and wanting to breastfeed them! It is WAY worth it. :) Love all your pics! Can't wait to see more.
If you have any other ques.,send them my way! :)
Enjoy your sweet family!

Leah said...

Hang in there! It took us a month to get the nursing thing down. Once they were "40 weeks" (because we came at 37 weeks, too) it was sooo much eaiser. They refused the breast and I pumped and bottle fed for a month. After that it was like a light bulb came on. I continued the pump and bottle thing for the whole time they had that late night feeding and it was great. You are right, it can take forever. It takes 1 hour and 1/2 to nurse and if they are on a 2 hour rotation (like we were at the beginning) you nurse all day! It was great, easy, and we just finished nursing 1 week ago at 11 months.
They are sooo cute!

Katrina said...

Those are the first up close pics that I have seen of them! Oh my goodness, they are precious. Reid looks like Hampton to me. I cannot wait to see them and hold them. You look beautiful too!

candice said...

I hate the nipple shield too! (Need to look up what a nipple shield is...) I've tried to keep Dad from sitting in dark corners eating cereal, but he seems to have managed ok this time. It's cool and weird to see you with a family of 5. Big families are fun! Get ready for the comments at the supermarket about all your cute kids. They always ask me if some of them are twins. You can actually answer yes. (Not sure why anyone would think our girls are twins.) I'm glad Mom got to hang out and help. Work her hard because you'll need to be ahead when the help is gone. Glad we got to be at the hospital. That was good timing. I think the bottles at night is a good idea. It allows others to feed and you to sleep a little.
Down the road Dixie Trucker,

David

sheltonfamily said...

What amazing pictures. You will treasure those for a lifetime. They are both incredible and so sweet. I was just talking to a friend today about you and how the nursing part must be so hard. I know it will get easier as they get a little older. Hampton looks so excite in each picture. Hope to see you soon! You'll have to give me tips on this whole 3 kid process!

The Moshells said...

Those are the sweetest set of twins I've ever seen! They are precious and I'm so glad you guys are doing good. Thanks for putting up the pictures, as I'm sure you're a little busy these days.

Sorefam said...

elizabeth---they are so beautiful and hampton is such a precious big brother!! i am so excited for you guys and the little blessings the Lord has bestowed on you both! congrats again--and you look great!!!

Jenny said...

Ben and Elizabeth - they are so beautiful! What an amazing blessing to have 2 healthy babies. Praise God for the way he answers our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Dad met me at the airport with red roses and was very happy to see me but equally happy that I was able to be there with you FIVE!!!!

We loved the blog; you have done a wonderful job journaling. The pictures are wonderful.

Thank you for the opportunity to share in your special life memory. I loved the experience....I am getting things back to norm here and I admit...resting!

Love you so. Mom

Anonymous said...

We were concerned when the babies were coming so I had Wally call Rosie. We got her on the way back home from the airport and she updated us about them. Rosie called back today and gave us this sight. We can't wait to see you and the children in person. Hope to see you soon. Rosie told us that Lucy was named for Granny Tillman. Wouldn't she be thrilled! In case you get this message twice we're new at this. This is our second try at sending you a message. Wally said after all we live in Culleoka, TN. Love Wally & Kay

Kate said...

Reid and Lucy are beautiful! I'm so glad you all are doing well and enjoying being home with your 3 kids! You look amazing. Congratulations!